With the advent of online store builders, it’s never been easier for small businesses to get started on an eCommerce store. But what if you’re a newbie? What if you have no experience whatsoever in creating an online store?
There are a number of great website builders that are catered to beginners who just want a simple and functioning website.
And to help even further, we’ve narrowed it down to the 5 best online store builder that are great for any newbie or first-time website owners. But before we list them out, let’s go over the factors that you’ll need to consider before choosing an eCommerce website builder.
How Do You Pick The Best eCommerce Website Builder?
There are a variety of online store builders available on the internet and choosing the right platform for you depends on what you and your business really need out of it.
It’s kind of like shopping for a car. The main purpose of it is to get you from point A to B, but there’s more to it when you’re trying to pick one. With an online store platform, the main purpose is to show the product you’re selling, put it in a shopping cart, and give you money. But just like buying a car, there’s more to it.
When it comes to choosing the best eCommerce website builder for your business, the following factors should be considered beforehand:
What’s your budget?
Your budget will decide what you can afford to get. If you have a bigger budget, you can get a bigger car. The same applies with online store and eCommerce options. A bigger budget will definitely get you more interesting platforms that offers more built-in features. The affordable ones, on the other hand, will be more simple and straightforward.
When looking for an online store builder, you need to understand the difference between something working and something being user-friendly. Certain builders will focus on design over features or vice versa. If you don’t mind going through walkthroughs and user manuals, you might prefer having more features and options. Some might want a simple and straightforward design over obscure features.
Do you need extra support?
Having support is always great, especially when you can call someone up for help. Unfortunately, it can also cost money. While some might be fine with having standardized help or by doing everything themselves, if you need the extra help, you might want to consider having a developer on retainer.
Do you need offline sales / inventory?
With eCommerce platforms, you’ll be able to manage your orders and inventory. Some platforms, however, will allow you to sync it with your offline sales as well. You can even use some as an offline ordering system so that you inventory/payment can seamlessly work between online and offline store.
What are the basic features for the online store?
A good online store builder should offer the basic features that you would need for an eCommerce site, such as SSL certificates, card recovery, and transaction plugins. Some will offer more features and plugins but the tradeoff means having to deal with a more complicated interface.
Best Online Store Builders for Newbies
The total retail eCommerce sales across the globe amount to $2.3 trillion in 2017 and the revenue in 2021 are projected to grow to $4.88 trillion.
You shouldn’t miss that out!
Now that you know eCommerce sales are rising and what you’ll need to consider when choosing an online store builder, it’s time to take a look at the best 5 builders that are currently available on the market.
Based on our research, the following eCommerce website builders are the best in terms of features, pricing, and ease of use. If you’re ready to get started, read on!
5 Best Online Store Builders – Pros and Pricing
The one-stop solution for all business owners, Shopify is the solution for those who want to run an eCommerce store on their website. Shopify gives you access to its online builder which lets you build your site exactly the way you want it.
Using templates, it’s quite easy to build and create a website from scratch. They even include a number of features such as SEO, marketing resources, secure shopping carts, and even mobile device compatibility.
And with over 600,000 online stores using Shopify, it’s not hard to see why they are the #1 eCommerce website builder.
- 100+ professional templates for eCommerce websites (free & premium)
- Template customization that’s easy to use
- Great flexibility on website design
- Easy credit card payment plugin
- Tons of features and benefits for Shopping Cart plugin
- Unlimited bandwidth and web hosting
- Tons of SEO features
- A Shopify forum for feedback and ideas
- Shopify Apps that gives tons of great plugins
- An all-in-one online store builder and web hosting solution
- Shopify Lite ($9 Monthly): For people who sell on social media networks, in person, or on existing websites
- Basic Shopify Plan ($29 Monthly): Everything that Lite offers plus the ability to create your own online store.
- Shopify ($79 monthly): Great for medium businesses or eCommerce stores that are starting to grow.
- Advanced Shopify ($299 monthly): Gives you advanced features that allows for scaling. Recommended for companies that are larger with revenues within $110,000 – $1,000,000.
- Shopify Plus (Negotiated pricing): For larger companies that are yielding more than 1 million in revenue. Pricing generally starts at about $2,000 per month.
Whether you’re a serious business owner or just a newbie, BigCommerce offers a ton of features that are super user-friendly.
Features such as built-in marketing help you promote your site. Their SEO tools will help you get ranked on search engines, and their secure shopping cart is great for customers and payment gateways.
With a free trial, you can easily test them out and decide if they are good for your business or not.
- Tons of great SEO tools
- A lot of conversion tools ( to make people buy your product)
- Marketing tools
- Comprehensive analytic tools
- Multiple payment gateways
- Great security features
- Multiple product configurations
- Standard ($29.95 monthly)
- BigCommerce Plus ($79.95 monthly)
- Pro ($199.95 monthly)
- Enterprise (Call BigCommerce for detailed pricing)
For those looking to build an online store that looks smooth and clean, Volusion offers all the tools that are best suited for building a visually attractive eCommerce that’s not overly Flash-heavy.
Many aspects of Volusion’s web building tools can be tweaked to help you sell any kind of product, however, their design are geared towards selling physical goods.
An eCommerce website built with Volusion allows customers to easily navigate your store and browse through any products you sell with ease.
- Comprehensive and straightforward SEO features
- A One Page Checkout Plugin
- Site Map that’s auto generated
- Tons of marketing tools
- Easy and simple payment processing
- Website backups that’s conducted daily
- Mini ($15 monthly)
- Plus ($35 monthly)
- Pro ($75 monthly)
- Premium ($135 monthly)
Wix has over 77 million users in 190 countries and they are continuing to grow at a fast rate. For businesses who are looking to start small in the eCommerce world, Wix is a great web building solution as you can have a site ready in a few minutes.
One of the great things about Wix is that they cater to those who have zero knowledge on starting a website. From providing templates to choosing fonts, they spoon feed you all the help you’ll need to have a website.
While Wix is more known for a general website, they also have a robust eCommerce website building tool which is fairly powerful.
- Create and set up a website fast
- Great drag and drop web building
- 24/7 dedicated help and customer support
- All website are optimized for mobile users
- Add blog features to your eCommerce site easily
- A variety of templates available that you can choose based on your needs
- Free (Limited Features)
- Connect Domain ($5 monthly)
- Combo ($10 monthly)
- eCommerce ($17 monthly)
- VIP ($25 monthly)
Weebly offers a powerful platform for building a website but still remains affordable for businesses who are just starting out. Next to Wix, Weebly is quite similar in terms of the features they offer.
Some of the great features they offer is the ability to let your customer to search and filter for products they want on your website.
But of course, Weebly’s biggest advantage is their pricing. And at $8 for their paid plans, it’s definitely easier, and less painful on your wallet, to have an eCommerce website on Weebly.
- Ability to set up tax rates for your customer’s locations
- An integrated blog
- SEO tools to improve your site and product visibility
- Features and tools to search for products
- Starter ($8 monthly)
- Pro ($12 monthly)
- Business ($25 monthly)
- Performance ($38 monthly)
Online Store Website: Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use my own domain?
Here are the best domain name registrars you can try.
Do I need SSL certificates on my online store?
For an online store, having an SSL certificate is essential to not only your customers, but also Google. Starting in 2018, Google will tag any website without an SSL certificate as unsafe and as an online store, you should always avoid being tagged as an unsafe website for customers.
To purchase SSL certificate, it’s best you learn more before deciding.
What are the Shopify transaction fees?
- Basic Shopify — Using Shopify payments – none – 2% for external payment gateways
- Shopify — Using Shopify payments – none – 1% for external payment gateways
- Advanced Shopify — Using Shopify payments- none – .05% for external payment gateways
- For usage of all major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB, Discover, and Diners Club debit and credit cards), you’ll need to set it up by going to the accept credit card section and selecting Shopify payments.
What are the BigCommerce transaction fees?
- Standard — No transaction fees – 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction for PayPal powered credit card payments
- BigCommerce Plus — No transaction fees – 2.5% + $0.30 per transaction
- Pro — No transaction fees – 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction
- Enterprise — No transaction fees – 2.2% + $0.30 or lower per transaction
What are the Weebly transaction fees?
Can I go for free eCommerce website builder?
What is dropshipping online store?
When there’s an order from customers, the store owners just need to contact the supplier. The order will then ship by the supplier to the customers directly.
Here’s the guide that you can follow to start a Shopify dropshipping store easily.