If you’re starting an online business, there are lots of things you need to take care. Besides making a website, buying an SSL certificate or choosing a small business hosting, one of the things you need to make sure is a positive cash flow.
Generally, you achieve this by making sure that the money that customers owe you are received in a timely manner.
Which is why having an invoice is important for any business because it helps keep your cash flow healthy. But if you’re still using spreadsheets or word processing to create your invoices, then it’s time to something a little better.
And you can do that with this handy list of 10 places to get free invoice generator templates.
Table of content
FTC Disclosure: BuildThis receives referral fees from tools listed on this website. But, the opinions are based on our experience and not how much they pay. We focus on helping small businesses and individuals to build websites as a business. Please support our work and learn more in our earning disclosure.
10 Places To Get Free Invoice Templates
1. Invoice Generator
Invoice Generator lets you create a customized invoice for a variety of business. All you have to do is fill in the information about the work and costs, then you can choose to download the invoice or send it straight from the website.
What’s great about invoice generator is that you can also add discounts and shipping rates into the total, and there’s even the option to adjust the currency.
What you get:
- Customized your invoice – upload logo, customer details, and items.
- Optional to add Shipping and Tax rates
- A copy of a draft invoice will save on your device
- Send your invoice direct to customer or download as PDF
- A free to use invoice template by Invoiced
- Optional to upgrade for more features including cloud-based access
You can create an invoice and download an Adobe PDF format of it at Aynax by. In order to create the document, you need to put the basic information about the receivable, such as date, unit price, and a description.
After putting in the details, you can then save or just immediately print the professional-looking invoice.
What you get:
- Track your invoices – the amount paid, balance due and total
- Allow your customer to pay using a credit card
- You will know when your customer opens the invoice
- Stay organized – the payment and customer record
- Able to upload your own logo
- Unlimited storage and customer contacts
Invoiceto.me is one the easiest and most straightforward invoice generator on the list. You can use it to send invoices for multiple types of work.
All you have to do is put in details about the work and payments. You can then download the invoice as a PDF and have a professional-looking way to request payments.
What you get:
- You can to add and edit row any time
- Able to edit and add text within the template
- Automated calculate Tax and total
- Download the invoice in PDF format
- It’s a free tool by Invoicely
- You can do more – manage clients, accept payment online, etc, when you sign up with them (It’s free!)
Create.onlineinvoices, you can choose and customize from three types of invoices: tax invoices, simple invoices, and business invoices. Using the three templates, you can create your own invoices by entering your information and downloading it as a PDF file.
You can also print it or send it directly from the website after you finish customizing your invoice.
What you get:
- Use different invoice template (3 layouts to choose from)
- Change to the currencies that suits you
- Add your own tax and discount value
- Upload your logo and add a note to the invoice
- Send the invoice via email and receive payment
- Create a free account for more advanced features
5. Shopify Invoice Generator
Shopify provides a free online invoice generator that you can use to create a customized invoice. You only need to do three simple steps to create an invoice, which are: filling in your company information, the customer and invoice information, and items you wish to bill.
Once you completed all the steps, you can then download it as a PDF file or send it straight to the customer.
What you get:
- Follow 3 simple steps given to create your invoice
- Clean and professional looking invoice template
- Fill in invoice details such as company and customer information, items, notes, etc
- You can save, print or email the invoice to your customers
- Automatic calculate Tax rate and Total
- It’s a free tool for everyone by Shopify. You don’t have to be their customer
6. Zoho Invoice
Zoho is known for offering a wide range of web-based business tools such as Zoho CRM, Zoho Reports, Zoho Inventory, Zoho Expenses, and Zoho Books. You can add an invoicing program to that with Zoho Invoice, a tool that you can use to create and manage customer invoices.
While the free version gives you full access to its features, you’re still limited to only five customer invoice per month. If you want to use more, they offer four subscription levels that cater to different needs.
What you get:
- Free to use. Just sign up with the free account
- Plenty of invoice templates you can choose
- The free version is limited up to 5 customers.
- Integrates with popular payment gateways for your customer convenience
- Import existing invoices using CSV format
- Able to access the full features even the with a free account
7. Free Invoice Generator
What stands out about Free Invoice Generator is that they do not store any data on their web servers. Instead, they use an HTML5 feature called Web Storage that allows developers to store complex data in your browser without the need for external web servers and databases.
This is great if data privacy is a major concern for you. Plus, if you accidentally close your browser, it will still remember your invoice details so you won’t have to start over.
What you get:
- Set different invoice currency
- Optional to add a Discount and Shipping to the invoice
- Automate calculate Tax value
- Able to download Invoice as PDF format
- The free invoices are kept for 10 minutes on the server before delete
- No sign up required
8. Square Invoices
Square is more known for their credit card readers, but they also have a free invoice generator program called Square Invoices. Square Invoices lets you customize your own invoice by letting you put in your company logo or choosing the color scheme.
After you’ve created your invoice, you can download it or send it via email to your customer which Square will keep track of and notify you once they viewed it.
What you get:
- Send your invoice in 3 simple steps
- Accept credit card payments if you need to
- Track invoices and send a reminder to customers
- Customize your invoice – upload own logo and color scheme
- Required to register and provide full details including address and SNN number
- Invoices are free but require to pay 2.9% + 30cents for each transaction
If you want to have a full accounting software program, in addition to creating an invoice, then you should definitely try out Wave.
Ideal for contractors, freelancers, and small businesses with less than 10 employees, Wave let you create an unlimited number of invoices that you can easily customize and send to clients and customers.
One great feature that Wave offers is to let customers pay directly from their online invoice, which can take a couple of business days before it reaches your bank account.
What you get:
- Personalize your invoices – template, logo and color scheme
- Accept credit cards and bank payments
- Create the invoice in any currency
- Bill your repeat customers with recurring invoices
- Keep track of your invoices in the dashboard
- Online payment fees – 2.9% + 30cents (credit card) and 1% / $1 min (bank processing)
10. PayPal Invoice
By and large, PayPal is still the best and safest way for you to send and receive money. So it shouldn’t surprise you that they also provide an invoice generator service.
Just like all the other invoice generator, you can easily customize the invoice with the details of your transaction, which you can then save it as a PDF file or send it as a link to your customers.
While it’s free to use, if a customer uses a debit or credit card to make a payment, PayPal will charge you a fee for it.
What you get:
- Set up and send invoices easily
- Invoices can send through own email or shared link
- Create a customized invoice – own logo and fields
- Able to access your invoices from any device
- Manage your payments on your mobile phone
- Fee per transaction – 2.9% + $0.30
Free Printable Invoice Templates You Can Download
If you create less than 10 customer invoices per month, it might not be enough to justify using accounting software such as QuickBooks or Xero. Instead, it’s best that you use a customizable invoice template that you can download and use in either Excel, Word, or PDF files.
1. Excel Invoice Template
This Excel invoice template has all the key elements that you would need in an invoice. It also has the ability to automatically calculate discounts, sales tax, and subtotals. One of the advantages of using an Excel template is that you can save all of the invoices for a customer in one workbook.
2. PDF Invoice Template
The PDF Invoice Template has less flexibility compared to the Excel since it can’t automatically calculate for discounts, subtotals, and sales taxes. Instead, you’re going to have to manually calculate your totals.
The advantage of using PDF templates is the clickable fields which let you enter all of the information you need. This makes PDFs easy to maintain and keeps your invoices looking clean.
3. Words Invoice Template
Similar to PDF templates, the Words invoice template does not automatically calculate your sales tax, discounts, and subtotals. This means that you need to manually calculate your totals accurately before sending it to your customers.
Since a Words template is much more customizable than the Excel or PDF templates, they are much more prone to errors.
For small businesses without a big budget, you can’t really afford to spend on accounting software to keep track of your cash flow. These free invoice generators are a great way to keep your budget low while still keeping your accounts in check.
FAQ: What you need to know about the invoice template?
What is an Invoice?
Before we get into the list, let’s understand what an invoice is.
An invoice, or a sales invoice, is a document sent by the seller to the purchaser for a product or service. It establishes an obligation on the purchaser to pay for product or service, creating an account receivable.
Basically, it’s a written verification of the agreement between a buyer and seller for goods or services.
Usually, an invoice will have the following details:
- The date in which the invoice was created
- Name and address of the customer and supplier
- Contact names of the customer and business (or individual handling the sales)
- A description of the items purchased (the product or service, pricing, quantity, etc.).
- The terms of payment (provider might put “net 10 days”, which means that the full payment is due within 10 days).
Having an invoice for your online store is good business practice as it helps you keep track of your cash flow and makes it easier to manage your accounting.
What Is An Invoice Generator?
Invoice generators are tools that let you create invoices using your web browser online. They usually have a blank invoice template that you can use for filling in important details such products description and customer’s names.
Unlike invoicing/time-tracking apps such as FreshBooks or Zoho Invoicing, an invoice generator only has one purpose: To help you create an invoice and do not come with any other features such as financial accounting, time-tracking, and team collaboration.
How To Create a Blank Invoice?
You can appoint a professional designer to create and customize your own invoice slip, but sometimes it’s not the best option as requires more time and investment. If you’re a small outfit, it’s much better to create a blank invoice yourself, which you can customize along the way.
Some of the processes for creating a blank invoice are:
- Using Microsoft Words to design a sophisticated invoice slip. Just remember to avoid using funky font styles.
- Using Microsoft Excel to create invoice forms. With Excel, you can easily generate diagrams on it, which is helpful for itemizing the provided services.
- You can use free blank invoices from websites that provide a readymade format of an invoice. All you have to do is just put your company name and other pertinent details before printing.
- Invoice generating software lets you automatically generate your invoice on the web. As it’s operated by machinery, there’s very little room for error or mistakes.